Scion Nonprofit Staffing (www.scionnonprofitstaffing.com) has been engaged to conduct a search for a temp to hire Payroll Specialist for our client, an incredible nonprofit organization located in New York City.
Reporting to the CFO, the Payroll Specialist will be responsible for all aspects of payroll functions including payroll processing, payroll compliance, and payroll auditing. This role works closely with the Human Resources team and the Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) teams.
This role is perfect for an experienced nonprofit professional with a background in payroll processing across multiple states! This position provides a great opportunity to contribute to a wonderful mission and work with a close-knit, supportive team! The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, highly organized, and focused on problem-solving and process improvement! This role is temp to hire and is work from home position during the pandemic. Eventually, this position will be on-site in our client’s Midtown office.
- Amazing opportunity to contribute to nonprofit finance management!
- Temp to hire opportunity!
- Ability to contribute to projects that are making a difference in the world!
- Opportunity to work with a welcoming, positive team!
What You Will Be Doing:
- Work with HR to maintain and review the payroll processing system for timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, timesheets, benefits, taxes, deductions, and garnishments
- Process bi-monthly payroll timely and accurately
- Monitor and process payroll updates for new hires, terminations, changes of pay rate, and deductions
- Review payroll data and follow up with HR or employees on incorrect or missing information
- Manage the timesheet process by sending reminders, set up timesheet approvers, and provide technical support regarding electronic timesheet submissions
- Ensure timesheets are submitted and approved accurately and in a timely manner
- Provide support to employees and answer general payroll questions
Payroll Tax and Compliance:
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll laws and best practices
- Study existing and new legislation, enforce adherence to the legal payroll requirements, and provide CFO on needed actions
- Manage the registration process for state withholding tax ID/account, state unemployment
insurance tax ID/account, and other local tax accounts
- Ensure the preparation and filing of monthly and quarterly payroll reports
- Manage the year-end W2 process and other tax forms
- Assist in conducting an annual 401K audit
- Prepare payroll records and document for audit
- Manage annual compensation audits
- Work with the Accounting team in reconciling benefit deductions and resolve payroll discrepancies
- Work with the FP&A team to ensure the allocation of coding and effort percentages
- Prepare and maintain records of all payroll transactions
- Identify and recommend updates to payroll processing systems, software and procedures
- Other duties as assigned by the CFO
- Contribute to an organization supporting many worthy causes!
What You Have to Offer:
- Experience with payroll preparation, processing/completing, internal control, and payroll taxes
- Experience in the nonprofit sector is a huge plus
- Advanced Excel skills
- Knowledge of payroll laws and compliance in multiple states
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Superior attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines and work independently
- Experience with HRIS systems and
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Desire to contribute to a wonderful organization!
This position offers a competitive hourly pay rate of $30-$34/hr. dependent on experience as well as health, dental, vision and other benefits after 30 days of employment!
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume in Word format at: https://www.scionstaffing.com/job/6724
About Our Firm:
Scion Staffing is a top staffing agency and executive search firm, connecting leading companies and organizations with impeccable talent throughout the West Coast. Through our innovative team-building and staffing solutions, we bridge the gap in temporary staffing, as well as contract-to-hire employment, contingent search, and executive searches. The Business Times has recognized us as a top staffing from 2010-2020, and our clients return to us for a variety of opportunities.
Scion Staffing is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.